Headingley War Memorial is a familiar sight to all who live in Leeds North West. It stands opposite the Skyrack pub and St Michaels Church, where the A660 – here Headingley Lane – meets St Michaels Road.
It is a First World War memorial, commemorating the 125 men from the St Michaels Parish district of Headingley who gave their lives in that conflict. It has stood there in memory of them since it was unveiled in December 1921.
You may have noticed that it’s recently been under wraps. That’s because it’s been under restoration – thanks to a project led by Headingley’s Labour Councillors – Al Garthwaite, Neil Walshaw and Jonathan Pryor. Al, Jonathan and Neil provided funds through the Inner North West Community Committee and from the MICE [Members Improvements in the Community and the Environment] scheme.
The restoration has included the addition of Sapper R Wright’s name to those listed on the monument. A new peace bench has also been placed just next to the Memorial.
On Sunday April 2, there will be a ceremony to dedicate the restoration. The ceremony will take place at 11 a.m., following morning service at St Michaels at 10 a.m.. There will be refreshments at the New Headingley Club on St Michaels Road afterwards.
All are welcome to join each or any part of this event.