Labour is putting in place its team to fight the Leeds City Council Local Elections in May 2015.
John Eveleigh has been selected as Labour’s candidate for the Otley & Yeadon seat in those elections.
John lives in Otley. He has worked for the NHS for 37 years – the last 27 years for the Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust.
He is married with three grown-up children, the youngest of whom is in her final year at University.
John will be familiar to many people in Otley and Yeadon.
He is currently Leader of Otley Town Council. Under John’s leadership Otley Town Council has become one the pre-eminent Councils within this tier of Local Government. Among its achievements since 2011
• Opening a hugely successful resource centre
• Refurbishing Otley’s town centre public toilets and bringing the staff ‘in-house’
• Achieving Living Wage status
• Joining the international Mayors for Peace organisation
• Leading the local planning around the Tour de France
• Ensuring increased funding to the local Citizens Advice Bureau – to deliver additional sessions locally addressing fuel poverty and benefit changes.
• Ensuring Job Centre Plus services returned to the town
• Setting up a Job Club for local unemployed people
• Leading innovative plans to develop a ‘Wharfedale Greenway’ in conjunction with other local Parish Councils and Sustrans
It’s because of his experience of Otley Town Council, and its huge success, that John is an advocate for a Yeadon Town Council. He has given strong support to the campaign in Yeadon.
John has held school governorships in Yeadon, at Rufford Park Primary School, and at Prince Henry’s in Otley.
He was instrumental in the establishment of Otley Action for Older People – and was chair from its inception in 1995 through to 2012. He still sits on the Management Committee. He was also key to setting up the Otley Disabled Peoples’ Advisory Group (ODAG) He’s an Elder of The Bridge United Reformed Church, Otley, and Director of Otley Town Partnership and Chair of Otley for Fairtrade and Economic Rights (OFFER).
John is a committed local campaigner. During the 1990s he was at the forefront of action for the new Wharfedale Hospital, and for improved local public transport and, more recently, he led local opposition to the academy proposals of Prince Henry’s School.
Somewhere in among all this he finds time to make use of his season ticket at Bradford City!
John is no stranger to action on behalf of local communities! Or to local government – he represented the old Otley and Wharfedale ward on Leeds Council. He is vastly experienced in working for local people. He looks forward to bringing all that expertise to work for the people of Otley and Yeadon after May 2015.
You can keep up with John and what he’s doing on Facebook – John Eveleigh for Otley and Yeadon
If you want to contact him, you can email him at email@example.com